Thursday, March 5, 2009

Stuffed Shells

I had never made Stuffed Shells. Nope never. I actually, don't think I'd ever eaten them either.

So last weekend, after hearing lots of people talking about all different ways to make them, I decided it was time to give them a try.

Jon liked this idea! Yay!

I was thinking Italian Sausage, Cheese & Spinach.

So as usual... lots of searching through very similar recipes to come up with some kinda plan.
Photobucket

Spryte's Stuffed Shells
1 box jumbo shells
1 lb mild Italian sausage
6 oz fresh baby spinach
1/2 medium onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded parmesan, romano & asiago
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 heaping TBLS Italian seasoning
olive oil
Spaghetti Sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella/provolone

Cook and drain shells according to directions on package and set aside.
Pour a little olive oil in a large skillet and saute onions and garlic.
Photobucket

Add Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink.
Photobucket

When sausage is no longer pink, add baby spinach and cook until completely wilted.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Set meat & spinach aside.

In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese and egg and mix well.
Photobucket

Add about a cup of shredded parmesan/romano/asiago cheese.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Some Italian seasoning.
Photobucket

About 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
Photobucket

Stir until well combined.
Photobucket

Stir sausage/spinach mixture into cheese mixture.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Coat the bottom of a baking dish with enough Spaghetti Sauce to just cover it.

Photobucket

Fill cooked shells with sausage/cheese mixture.
Photobucket

Spoon more sauce over filled shells.
Photobucket

Bake 20 - 30 minutes at 350F until heated through.

Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella & provolone cheese.
Photobucket

Bake a few more minutes until cheese is golden and melty.
Photobucket

It's dinner time!
Photobucket

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey, did you steal my memory stick?? Hehe. Actually, I made the same meal last week and it was extremely similar. Looks delicious!

Mom on the Run said...

These look amazing. I love cheese and meat together. I don't think that I have ever made stuffed shells either.

Donna-FFW said...

Love the combo of the sausage and spinach. As usual, I so enjoy your step by steps!!

Unknown said...

yum yum yum!!! I think that will have to go on my weekend menu :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

For a first timer, I think you did great on your stuffed shells. Brings back childhood memories. I'm ready to dig in.

NKP said...

I love pasta, your stuffed shells look delicious!

tamilyn said...

I've never done them with sausage, might need to experiment.

Michele said...

So funny that you made those!!! I just picked up shells last night in the store! I saw Giada make them stuffed with turkey and spinach so I would really like to try that soon!

Lookin' good!!!

Shane T. Wingerd said...

I LOVE stuffed shells!! My favorite way is Turkey & Arugala or Artichoke. But I think I must try these as soon as possible... !!!! Delicious!!!

Kiezie said...

You did really well. These looks WONDERFULLY delicious!

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely beautiful! Wow!

priscilla joy said...

I LOVE stuffed anything...yours looks delicious!

test it comm said...

Those stuffed shells look so tasty!

Spryte said...

Thanks for all the kind words!!

Peter M said...

..and now you have...they look great...beginners' luck or crafty in the kitchen? The latter me thinks.

Anonymous said...

is it wrong that it's only 9 am and I'm wishing I had some right now? you go girl!

Tangled Noodle said...

I could barely make it to the end of the post, I was getting so hungry! Beautiful final shot - wish I had been there!!

doodles said...

dang girl that looks mighty good..............i've only made them with a cream sauce.