Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Crab Salad Sandwich ~ FAIL

So over the weekend I made some Crab Salad Sandwiches.

They looked BEAUTIFUL.
Photobucket

Doesn't that look yummy?

It was bland & blah!

Tawny & I were the only ones eating them, since no one else in my house eats that kinda thing.

I was going for basic... think Lobster Roll...

*drool* I wish I hadn't just thought Lobster Roll... there are no Lobster Rolls in Pittsburgh. *sob* Now I REALLY want one!!

Anyway...

I figured... it's good for Lobster Roll... I'll make a Crab Roll. Should be a tasty lunch right? WRONG!

My ingredients?
Imitation Crab (was that my first problem? I like that stuff... so I thought it would work)
Mayo
Celery
Green Onions
Salt & Pepper
Lettuce
Buns (no frankfurter rolls in Pittsburgh either)

Ok... I know that even has 'extras' if I was making a Lobster Roll... but I figured it would be fine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's it.

Blah!

I even sprinkled lemon juice on it after a bite... no help.

It does look pretty though, doesn't it?
Photobucket

Can you fix my Crab Salad Sandwich?

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Hm. Don't know how to fix it... I've made egg/chicken/tuna salad that was bland in the past, but don't really remember how I corrected. It DOES look really, really good. Makes me want a crab sandwich in Monterey.

tamilyn said...

OOo, not a seafood fan-I love the way it looks when I see others eat it, but everything I have ever tried, I didn't like.

The photo is soo pretty-looks like it would be delish. Maybe some seasonings of some kind? I like Bay seasoning for non-seafood things I make. Some kind of herb maybe?

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Spryte, It looks deliciously mouthwatering... Hmmm... Maybe some curry powder??? Or hit it with the Sambal Olek stuff... ;)

Heather S-G said...

Hey Spryte...they do look good! I usually use canned crabmeat (I think it does make a noticeable difference)...scallions or red onions, a few dashes of hot sauce or chili sauce, little worcestershire (?), lemon, s&p, mayo and I absolutely love it with some avocado chopped up and mixed in...oh, on a croissant (yum).

Vicky said...

It looks so good I would try a bite and I do NOT like crab. Maybe some sweet pickle relish and some lemon pepper seasoning would add some flavor?

Great job on the food 'styling' and photography. I'm so bad at it.

Lara said...

My kids seems to think that ketchup fixes everything. :)

Anonymous said...

How about lemon pepper cause it looks good. I know I would eat it.

Noggy said...

Looks delicious and healthy to me. I use Emeril's Crab Salad recipe myself...

Ingredients

* 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage (about 1 cup)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onions
* 4 large pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
* 2 teaspoons chopped parsley (optional if you don't like parsley like me)
* 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
* 2 tablespoons One-Egg Mayonnaise

Chill for 1 hour before serving.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

It does look beautiful! I would add some Old Bay Seasoning as well as garlic powder and onion powder.... that may kick up some flavor!

Anonymous said...

Oh I would totally dig this. It's how I make my crab salad, only I use old bay seasoning and cracked pepper. To bad I wasn't there for the left overs!

Tangled Noodle said...

I really does look delicious! I wish I could add a suggestion but there are some good ones here already. The Old Bay seasoning sounds like it would work nicely. Let us know what works if you try it again!

Spryte said...

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

I can't wait to start trying them out!

It's a shame to have a sandwich that looks that good not match up in taste!

Anonymous said...

Use Real crabmeat
Celery
Mayo
S&P
Lightly spread your hot dog roll or bun with butter, then grill. You can also use hamburger buns. Then assemble your sandwich. Simple, but tastes awesome.