Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lumpia

This is my x-mother-in-law's recipe for Lumpia. My X taught me how to make them when we were married. I still make them a couple times a year and everyone loves them.

Photobucket

Lumpia
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 package wonton wrappers (these are often in the produce department or with the dairy)
1 C finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 or 3 green onions, chopped
3 TBLS soy sauce
pepper
Oil for frying

Directions:
Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers and oil; and mix well.
Now to roll them – see next page for step by step rolling pics.
Place a wonton wrapper in front of you, with a corner pointed toward you.
Place a teaspoon or two of the meat mixture towards the bottom of the wrapper and shape horizontally.
Fold bottom point of wrapper over meat.
Fold sides towards middle, aligned with edges of meat.
Moisten your finger tip with water and moisten the top edges of the wonton wrapper.
Roll meat mixture toward the top.
Top edge should seal to roll, if not, moisten with a bit of water on your finger tip.
Go on to the next one and keep rolling until you run out!
Heat oil to 350F
Carefully place lumpia in hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Drain on cloth covered rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Here's what you'll need:
Photobucket

Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers and oil
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mix well.

Now to roll them!
Place a wonton wrapper in front of you, with a corner pointed toward you.
Photobucket

Place a teaspoon or two of the meat mixture towards the bottom of the wrapper and shape horizontally.
Photobucket

Fold bottom point of wrapper over meat.
Photobucket

Fold sides towards middle, aligned with edges of meat.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Moisten your finger tip with water and moisten the top edges of the wonton wrapper.
Photobucket

Roll meat mixture toward the top.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Top edge should seal to roll, if not, moisten with a bit of water on your finger tip.

Go on to the next one and keep rolling
Photobucket

And rolling
Photobucket

And rolling
Photobucket

And rolling, until you run out
Photobucket

Heat oil to 350 degreesF

Carefully place lumpia in hot oil
Photobucket

Fry until golden brown.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Drain on cloth covered rack.

These are great as is, hot, room temp, cold... plain, with sweet and sour sauce or what I call Filipino Table Sauce (for lack of a better name)

My x-MIL used to serve this sauce with lumpia, pork chops, steaks, and lots of stuff. It's pretty much adobo sauce.

Equal parts soy sauce & vinegar with a clove or two of minced garlic. It's has a very pungent flavor. I LOVE it!!

Photobucket

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Bob said...

oh. wow. Those looks so freaking good. You are a braver cook than I, I never deep fry stuff.

Spryte said...

LOL!! I deep fry stuff all the time... when the oil's hot, my family will start rummaging through the fridge or pantry to find other stuff for me to deep fry!

Bob said...

Ha! That's awesome. Do you use a thermometer or do you just guess at it? Don't tell me it's too easy, if I start doing it I will never lose that weight I put on when I quit smoking... :)

Spryte said...

I do both... when I've been frying a lot, I can guess at it pretty well, if I'm using the same pan. But I do often use a thermometer.

Unknown said...

YUM!!! I've made wontons several but i never heard of these! Cheese!!!! oh man...i want some now