Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chicken Taquitos

I needed a quick lunch on Saturday and remembered I had some Smoky Mexican Chicken in the fridge. We had been talking about chimichangas & taquitos over on BakeSpace and thought I'd try my hand at Chicken Taquitos.

You'll need:
Smoky Mexican Chicken
Corn Tortillas
Shredded Cheese (colby, pepperjack)
Oil for Frying
Toppings? Guacamole, Sour Cream, Salsa, Jalapenos

I start with a damp linen napkin.
Photobucket

Place 3 or 4 corn tortillas in the napkin.
Photobucket

Fold it over and microwave for 20 - 30 seconds
Photobucket

That should make them easier to work with.

Put about 1/4 C of Smoky Mexican Chicken on the tortilla.
Photobucket

Now roll it up.
Photobucket

Photobucket

You might need to secure them with a wooden toothpick.
Photobucket

Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan and heat to 350F.
Gently place the taquitos, seam side down into the oil. If you secured them with toothpicks, it's ok to leave them in place while they are frying.
Photobucket

After a few minutes, turn them over.
Photobucket

Cook a few minutes on the other side until golden and remove to napkin lined rack.
Photobucket
Ok... they're not very pretty. My corn tortillas were store bought (from the grocery store) and not so fresh, so they did break up a bit during rolling. Next time I'm picking up corn tortillas from Reyna Foods in the Strip. They make them fresh on site! It's the only Mexican market in the city.

Top with shredded cheese and your favorite toppings.
Photobucket

These didn't come out pretty... but they were REALLY good!!!

2 comments:

Bob said...

I don't know, they look good to me. Heh. Man I wish I could get good tortillas around here. My parents used to go to Ca. everyone year to visit family and they would come home with cases of handmade tortillas that they would freeze. That way we had good tortillas year round. I miss them every time I eat crappy store bought ones.

~Amber~ said...

Oh man I bet these were delicious, they look it.