Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dia de los Muertos

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a Mexican holiday that honors family and friends who have passed on. It's celebrated on November 1 and 2.

We don't celebrate Dia de los Muertos at our house (even though it's a very cool idea... friends & family gathering to remember friends and family!), but there are some fun foods & crafts that go along with this holiday.

I like to send stuff to school for the kids to share in Spanish Class.

Tawny is a senior now and this is probably the only year since she started school that she's not taking Spanish.

On the other hand, this is Bobby's first year taking it.

Unfortunately this year, I forgot until the last minute. I asked Bob if he could bring stuff to school and he said he didn't think so.

Next year I'll remember to ask his teacher ahead of time.

Until then... here's what we did last year....

Sugar Skulls















You can buy these at your local Mexican Market, Order them online or Make them yourself!

Making them yourself is way more fun!! Click the link above to see how!

Pan de Muerto















Ok... I'm not great at shaping dough... but no Day of the Dead Celebration would be complete without Pan de Muerto!

And I made these up at the last minute one year when Tawny came home from school asking for Pan de Muerto or Sugar Skulls for the next day at school!

Galletas de Muerto por Spryte (<~that might not be right... I don't speak Spanish!) Day of the Dead Cookies by Spryte


















Enjoy these fun family projects!

6 comments:

NKP said...

We really need more Spanish/Mexican influence up here in Canada. I feel like we are missing out!

Anonymous said...

I love that you post about the day of the dead, it's really an interesting tradition. Love the sugar skulls you did last year too. I found a skull cupcake method on instructables, I'll have to find it again for you and post it.

Spryte said...

Thanks Ben! That recipe is just Mexican Wedding Cakes, shaped like skulls and decorated....

If you click the picture, it will take you to the recipe. =)

Jennifer said...

Hey those are the custest things I have seen in a long time, what a cool idea. I have been reading quiet a bit about the day of the dead lately!

Patti T. said...

I remember your making those sugar skulls last year. You not only make good food, you make fun food!

Bob said...

I remember that post. Good stuff, the sugar skull are particularly impressive.