Thursday, November 19, 2009

Curry & Cardamom Cookies

Quite a while back I was looking for a cookie recipe that included curry.

I don't know why. But I had to find one.

Well... a quick Google search quickly pointed me to these Curry & Cardamom Cookies in the recipe section of The Spice House.

It's a recipe from a book called An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries: A Treasury of Stories, Herbal Lore, Recipes and Crafts by Susan Wittig Albert.

I've heard there are lots of great recipes in her novels. I might have to pick one up!

Great! I found a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for.

Fast forward almost a year... and I finally got around to making them!

Ericka and I had a spice cookie baking day a couple weeks ago and this was one of the cookies we made.

Photobucket

Curry & Cardamom Cookies
1 C butter
2 C brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sweet curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 cup pecans, chopped

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated.

Whisk dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture, a third at a time. Stir in nuts.

Divide dough into four rolls and wrap each in waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 4 hours (may also be frozen).

Slice into 1/4-inch slices and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in preheated 350F oven until golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Let cookies cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to a rack to cool thoroughly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla.
Photobucket

Whisk together dry ingredients
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Add dry ingredients to wet, a little at a time until well combined.
Photobucket

I totally forgot the nuts.

Divide dough into four even parts.

Form into rolls, wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Photobucket

When you're ready to bake... unwrap...
Photobucket

Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
Photobucket

And bake 12 - 14 minutes.

That's 12 minutes in my slightly hot oven.

Photobucket

Jon didn't like these cookies at all. But he Jon doesn't like any kind of spice cookie. I liked them a lot. But they are a crisp cookie and I prefer cookies a little chewier.

I brought them to work and the guys at work liked them. I doubt they ate a whole tray of them just to be nice. (contrary to what Jon thinks)

I also sent some up to Erin and Andrew's house. I 'think' they liked them. Andrew said it tasted like a cookie that fell into Indian food. So I guess that's good if you like Indian food and not so good if you don't!

Ericka and Drew liked them too.

Photobucket

So if you're looking for something a little different, definitely give these cookies a try!

14 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Oh these sound addicting. I love the flavor of cardamom .. throw in some pecans, my goodness what a treat. Perfect for any holiday tray.

Heather S-G said...

What a crazy combo!! I totally want to try them :D

butterflittle said...

you 'think' I liked them? I LOVED them!! In fact, my mouth is watering as I type this...so yummy!

Spryte said...

LOL!! YAY!! Erin LOVED them! hehehe

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I admire how you aren't afraid to try new things and I'm not talking about trying a coconut cupcake but things outside of the norm.
~ingrid

Bob said...

I also like chewy more than crispy, but I love spice cookies. I'd definitely try them. Heh.

Dajana said...

I love spicy cookies, but I'm the only one here. In fact, I ate the whole batch of ginger cookies all by myself.

Patti T. said...

I would never have thought of curry in cookies. Not sure I could get anyone else to taste them so I will just take your and Erin's word that they were good.

Unknown said...

these sound really good. I can imagine how good they'd be with a cup of ginger lemon tea for some reason.

butterflittle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
butterflittle said...

I went with Jasmine green tea. very good together!

Ericka said...

How much do I love this recipe! I'm about to share it with friends tomorrow :)

Spryte said...

YAY!!!

Carole said...

Really interesting idea. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday: Curries. Cheers