Monday, August 24, 2009

Paella ~ Coast to Coast Cooking at BakeSpace

Our first Coast to Coast Cooking event at BakeSpace was so much fun, we decided to do it again!

This time it's Paella!

It's something I've been wanting try for a long time! So when Michele suggested it, I was all for it!

I picked bits and pieces from a few different recipes and came up with this.

Photobucket

Paella
2 C arborio rice
3 1/2 C shricken stock (chicken stock w/shrimp shells simmered in it)
15 mussels
15 clams
15 shrimps (*giggle* - sorry Shels!)
2 chorizo links, cooked & cut into bite-sized pieces
2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 lb pork, diced
1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 fresh rosemary sprigs, needles chopped
3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
salt & pepper
big pinch of saffron
3/4 C peas
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large skillet, saute pork & chicken with garlic, onions and peppers in a little olive oil. Cook until meat is mostly cooked and veggies are tender. Add tomatoes; cook a few more minutes.

Remove meat & veggies from skillet and set aside. Add some more olive oil to the skillet and saute rice for a few minutes. Add rosemary, thyme, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Saute another minute. Add shricken stock & saffron.

Bring to a boil; add meat and veggies back to skillet, cook for a couple minutes and stir until well combined. Stir in chorizo, shrimps and peas. Arrange mussels and clams in rice (or just stir them in too)

Bake uncovered 25 - 30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saute chicken, pork & veggies.
Photobucket

Photobucket

When the meat is mostly cooked, remove from skillet and set aside.

Add some more olive oil to the skillet and saute the rice.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Add herbs & spices and cook another minute.
Photobucket

Add shricken stock and saffron and bring to a boil.
Photobucket

Add meat & veggies back to skillet, plus chorizo, shrimps & peas.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't 'arrange' my mussels & clams. I kinda tossed them on top with the peas. I think I next time I'd stir them all in.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Blurry... middle of baking pic...
Photobucket

Remove from oven and rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
Photobucket

I thought paella was supposed to be crispy on the bottom... but most of the recipes I looked at called for this baking method. I don't know how it would get crispy in the oven.

I put it back on the stove and cooked it a little, but still didn't end up with bottom crispies. I didn't want to burn it, next time I'll give it a little longer on the stove top.

It was very tasty and everyone liked it.
Photobucket

And had seconds.
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a keeper... but I still need to figure out the crispy bottom thing.
Photobucket

Maybe I can reheat the leftovers in a skillet and end up with crispies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway... This wouldn't be Coast to Coast Cooking if I didn't have some other cities checking in!

So... first stop on the Coast to Coast Paella Plane is Danielle in Burbank, California!

Here's Dani's Paella.
Photobucket

Isn't that beautiful?

But this time, you get TWO for the price of ONE!! On our way to Burbank, we made a stop in Mound, Minnesota and Dani picked up BakeSpace Guest Blogger Cathy!!

Here's Cathy's Paella!
Photobucket

Wow!! That looks GREAT!!! Why isn't she blogging more often??

You can see Dani's & Cathy's recipes at Cooking for My Peace of Mind.

And since Jet Blue had their unlimited travel sale this month... we're heading back east to Morris Plains, New Jersey where Michele cooked up her version of Paella!
Photobucket

YUM!! Look at those big pieces of sausage!

Check out Michele's recipe at My Italian Grandmother.

Time to jet back to San Diego, California for Shane's Paella!
Photobucket

WOW!!! What are you waiting for?!!

You can find Shane's recipe at Culinary Alchemy.

Back across the country again... this time we're landing in Rochester, NY to check out Martha's Paella!
Photobucket

Mmmmmm... Scroll down a little when you click HERE to see Martha's post at BakeSpace!

And our final stop on the Coast to Coast Paella Plane is Seward, Alaska for Moni's Paella!
Photobucket

That looks delish!!! You can find Moni's recipe at Alaskan Dermish in the Kitchen!

This was so much fun again!!

Don't you want to cook with us??

Check out Coast to Coast Cooking in the Recipe Swap section of the BakeSpace forum!

13 comments:

DutchBakerGirl said...

And your's looks delish, too! I wish we could have really taste tested all of them.

Michele said...

Think I wouldn't catch that, huh? Shrimps??? LMAO!

You are so much more creative with your tie ins. I need to get better. Now I feel awful that I didn't link to Cathy because i see her smiling face as I'm typing this. I didn't know she had a blog account! I just linked to Dani....bummer. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I didn't know that most recipes called for oven cooking. Very interesting! It looks delish!

Spryte said...

Cathy doesn't have a blog... (at least I don't think she does!) I linked her to Dani. =)

The Moon Muse said...

hahaha, shrimps!! I feel like I took a trip and man am I full!

Great post!

Denise said...

Paella has always intimidated me. Yours looks fantastic.

Heather S-G said...

Okay, that's it...I must have Paella. NOW! I can't take it anymore...they all look so amazing :D

Donna-FFW said...

I would pay you to sit at your table for this meal. Looks unbelievably flavorful and delicious!

Anonymous said...

You guys all did such a great job! (but I knew you would) I'm with Cathy...wished we could have taste tested all of them, for reals. (ps LOL at shrimps ;) )

Cathy said...

These look fabulous! I have always been a paella fan.....I am currently coveting the paella pan at Williams and Sonoma :)

Bob said...

Good times, you all seem to be having fun. :)

Unknown said...

LOL...that was so cute! You know, I've never flown Jet Blue before hahahaha. Your dish looks fantastic! Wooo hooo...fun times beeps!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Okay, so I check your blog yesterday afternoon and you hadn't updated. I check back this afternoon and you have a whole bunch of new posts! You were busy.

I've yet to try making paella myself. All of them look good. Hope you find/get your crispy bottom! LOL!
~ingrid

Shane T. Wingerd said...

"shrimps" Hee Hee. I love all the bell peppers... YUM! I wonder if the crispy bottom (Socarrat) only happens when you use the stove top or one of those gas paella burner things... I finished mine in the oven too and didn't get it either.