Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bobby's Chicken Chilaquiles

When one of your kids wants to make you breakfast, how can you say no?

You can't!

When Bob first started 'cooking' it was always scrambled eggs. He'd ask everyone, daily, even guests, if they wanted him to make them some scrambled eggs!

On July 5th... after probably a year of no offers of scrambled eggs, Bob asked me if I wanted him to make me some scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Of course I said, "Yes!" Then after thinking about it for a second, I said, "How about if I show you how to make those scrambled eggs into Chilaquiles?" He said ok... even though he wasn't super thrilled with the idea. He prefers his eggs plain.

And really Chilaquiles only has eggs in it if you're eating it in Baja California, Mexico (or with me or my nephew Damien!)

I suggested it because I had plenty of Smoked Beer Can Chicken left from the day before.

So my shirtless little monkey got started, whisking up some eggs with red enchilada sauce.
Photobucket

Photobucket

While he was doing that, I cut up some corn tortillas and popped them into the oven to get crispy.

Eggs into a hot non-stick pan.
Photobucket

When they're cooked a little soft, add the leftover shredded chicken.
Photobucket

And continue cooking... (Bob's action stirring shot)
Photobucket

Add a big handful of toasted tortilla strips...
(more stirring action)
Photobucket

Add enchilada sauce to soften chips.
Photobucket

Photobucket

It's breakfast time!!
Photobucket

Thanks Dude!! Breakfast ROCKED!!

13 comments:

Reeni said...

What a cutie!! These look real yummy. Bobby did an awesome job on them!

Michele said...

He is too cute! They remind me of migas! Yum!

Cathy said...

That's awesome!! He'll make someone an amazing husband one day!

Unknown said...

that is just so cute! don't you love it when the kids want to cook with mom?

Denise said...

There is nothing better than the kids wanting to cook, and this meal does rock.

Karine said...

Such a cute story! You have a future chef! :)

Lara said...

What a sweetheart. That looks delicious!

Jennifer said...

That looks damn good, can he come over right now and fix that for me!

NKP said...

So cute! I have never had chilaquiles before - they look delish.

Shane T. Wingerd said...

How cute!!! They look delicious!!!

Heather S-G said...

Awesome...eggs are my daughter's "specialty", LOL!! I love chilaquiles, but have never made them with eggs...they're almost migas like this!! Man, I wish I had some :D

Patti T. said...

He really is a little sweetheart. How great that is, taking an interest in cooking. I love cooking with my granddaughter.

Tangled Noodle said...

A budding gourmet! That's my kind of breakfast but I don't think I've ever had chilaquiles before. I think this would make a great Sunday breakfast (the only day of the week that I cook breakfast for the hubs instead of pouring cereal into a bowl!)