Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Refried Beans

I LOVE refried beans. Again... something I'd always just opened up a can and jazzed up a little. (lime juice & green chilies were my secret ingredients!)

I used KathyK's recipe on BakeSpace as a guideline.

Refried Beans
2 15oz can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed
2 TBLS olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 - 3 TBLS lime juice
3/4 C chicken broth (more or less)
2 tsp dried cilantro
salt & pepper to taste

In a medium skillet, saute onion & garlic in olive oil.
Add drained, rinsed pinto beans.
Photobucket

Heat and gently mash beans with the back of a spoon.
Photobucket

Add cumin, cilantro, lime juice and some of chicken broth. You can also use veggie broth to keep this vegetarian.
Photobucket

Add as much broth as you like to get beans to the consistency you like.

Top with cheese and these are ready to accompany your favorite Mexican entree or co-star in your favorite burrito!
Photobucket

Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Michele said...

That's easy enough! Looks great!

Bob said...

Mmm, that does look good. I just recently got into refried beans, I didn't like them as a kid. I ate them at a Mexican place around the corner from me and liked them, so I guess I need to make them myself now. Heh. I will be trying this recipe.