Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!

As soon as I saw them I knew I had to make them! And I saw them a lot!! They were all over the interwebs!

Anyway... these are amazing... but if you're watching what you eat, save this one for a day when you have a little wiggle room... ok, a lot of wiggle room, because this is definitely an indulgence!

IMG_0656

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

sourdough bread
softened cream cheese (about 2 TBLS per sammie)
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded jack cheese
sliced jalapeno peppers, sliced lengthwise
tortilla chips, roughly crushed
butter

First for the jalapenos. You can use either canned jalapenos (not the little pickled slices) or fresh. If you use fresh, char the peppers on the outside using your broiler or grill. Turn until all side are blackened (about 10 minutes more or less) Immediately place them into a sealed container. Let them rest for 10 to 20 minutes. Now the skins should slip off easily.

Butter one side of each piece of bread.

Place one slice of bread, buttered side down in skillet over medium lowish heat.

Top with shredded cheddar and jack cheeses.

Add crushed tortilla chips.

Top tortilla chips with jalapeno slices.

Spread cream cheese on plain side of remaining slice of bread and place it on top of sandwich with buttered side up.

Cook on medium lowish heat until golden brown. Then carefully flip sandwich.

Continue cooking until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok... here's what you need...
IMG_0649

Buttered side down, topped with cheddar cheese...
IMG_0650

Then jack cheese... mmmm... so creamy and melty!!
IMG_0651

Next you really should put on the tortilla chips... however I put on the jalapenos.
IMG_0652

Ah... now there's nothing for the chips to kinda stick to... so I put the cream cheese on the other slice of bread and kinda stuck them on there...
IMG_0654

Then I had to flip that onto the rest of the sandwich without losing my chips! But I totally got lucky have mad skillz... so it totally worked out...
IMG_0655

Carefully flip it and continue cooking until the cheese is melty and the bread is golden.

IMG_0657

These are wicked good! Gooey, cheesy, melty, spicy... YUM!!

You'll want to control the heat in your sandwich to your liking. Some of family thought they were a little too spicy... some thought they were just fine. Instead of the slices... you might even want to dice the jalapenos. Then you can really control just how much you have in there. I couldn't really pick out the flavor of the tortilla chips, as the crunchy coating on a jalapeno popper. Maybe I needed more? I'm not sure. But it definitely didn't ruin overall jalapeno popperness of the sammie.

I loved these... and I have no idea why I haven't made them again, because these pictures are pretty old!

If you love grilled cheese sandwiches and jalapeno poppers, you must put these on your short list of things to make!

3 comments:

Patti T. said...

These sound great, I love jalapeno poppers, who knew that you could make it into a delicious sandwich? Spryte, that's who!

rubybean77 said...

This is a SCREAMING AWESOME IDEA!!!! I am TOTALLY going to make these for my hubby. Interesting twist with the tortilla chips. :)

Jalapeno Peppers said...

Awesome site. Thanks for sharing.