Monday, July 16, 2012

English Muffin Bread

Yeast breads typically intimidate me. I don't really know why, because when I actually start, there's nothing to be afraid of. But still, it always gives me pause.

Anyway... am I ever glad I didn't let my fear of yeast get the better of me when I found out about English Muffin Bread!

I think I found this while browsing Pinterest. It's from a website call blisstree.com.

This is wicked easy and soooooo good!!

IMG_0702

English Muffin Bread
5 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup warm water
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/4 cups warm milk
butter and cornmeal for greasing and dusting the pans

Mix the yeast, honey, and water. Set aside.
Sift the salt, baking powder, and flour.
Add the milk and one cup of the flour to the yeast mixture. Blend well.
Add the remaining flour and beat. You should have a very soft, goopy dough. (she really said goopy... and it totally is!)
Spoon the dough into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and dusted with the cornmeal. Set aside in a warm place until the batter has doubled and is at the top of the pans, or a little above.
Preheat the oven to 425F
Dust the tops of the loaves with cornmeal and bake for 15 minutes or so. Loaf will sound hollow when tapped. Bake for 20-25 minutes if you want a crisper, more golden crust.
Cool and slice.
Yield:2 loaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so mix the yeast, honey and water and set it aside.

You can see it grow and come to life in my glass measuring cup.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Now right up to the spout.
Photobucket

mmmmm.... yeasty....

Anyway... whisk your flour, baking powder and salt.
Photobucket

That didn't really make for a very interesting photo, did it?

Add the milk and one cup of flour mixture to the yeast mixture.

Blend well; add remaining flour and beat.

This will be a loose sticky gooey dough.
Photobucket

Butter your loaf pans and dust them with cornmeal.
Photobucket

Spoon the dough into the loaf pans.
Photobucket

No kneading at all, because you don't want to squish all those voluptuous air pockets that will totally cradle the silky melty butter when you toast it.

Let them rest in a warm place until batter has doubled and is at least to the top of the pans.
Photobucket

Now pop them into the oven, preheated to 425F. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Loaf will sound hollow when tapped. If you want a crisper more golden crust, bake 20 - 25 minutes.

Photobucket

Doesn't that look beautiful?

Be sure to let it cool before slicing.

Look at those big nooks and crannies!
IMG_0702

Now since this made two loaves, I was totally going to give one to my friend Erin across the street.

But look at this toasted golden goodness!!
Photobucket

And it made the BEST breakfast sandwiches!!
Photobucket

We rolled through both loaves in no time at all!!

Sorry Erin!!

But I didn't actually tell her that I'd planned to give her a loaf, so it's not like she really missed it or anything!

This was crazy easy and so totally delicious!!

What are you waiting for?! Go make some!

3 comments:

Michele said...

That looks so wonderfully delicious! If you promise it's not hard I will definitely try it. I am terrified of yeast!

Unknown said...

I saw this recipe too on pinterest. You did a great job.

Unknown said...

I've tried three different recipes for English Muffin Bread from Pinterest. Yours is the best HANDS DOWN! Super easy and delicious!