Friday, July 13, 2012

Caramelized Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

The first time I saw these on Closet Cooking, I knew I had to make them! Kevin is a culinary genius, and if you don't frequent his blog already, I can't recommend it enough. You won't be disappointed!

Photobucket

Caramelized Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
bread
butter
cheese, grated

Heat a pan over medium heat.

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Just like a regular grilled cheese...

Place one slice in the pan, buttered side down, cover with half of the cheese and any other fillings you might want to add, and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up... ya know, like a grilled cheese...

Turn down the heat a little and cook until golden brown.

Carefully, flip the sandwich and cook the other side until golden brown.

Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on the empty side of the pan, place the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese is melted and caramelized.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the empty side of the pan and flip the grilled cheese on top of the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted and caramelized.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's my extra-sharp New York cheddar with green onions on rye.

Photobucket

Top with 2nd slice of bread... buttered side up.
Photobucket

Flip when golden (I like mine dark)
Photobucket

Add a lovely pile of sheddy cheese next to your sammie.
Photobucket

When that gets a bit melty, place sandwich on top of the shredded cheese in the pan.
Photobucket

More shreddy cheese...
Photobucket

And flip the sandwich onto the remaining melty cheese.
Photobucket

When that's melty & caramelized, it's time to eat!!

Photobucket

This is so amazing, I know you'll want to immediately bite into it. But you have to try to restrain yourself! Cheesy mouth burns are no fun!

But this sandwich is great!! You MUST try it!!

1 comment:

Patti T. said...

I passed over this recipe earlier today. I thought it said caramelized onion toasted cheese. Since I don't eat onions it didn't pique my interest, but now that I read the title correctly I just had to know what it was all about. Looks so darned yummy. My BIL would die, he says he thinks I feel the need to add cheese to everything, ha ha.