Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nana's Whoopie Pies

I'm always bugging my Auntie Ann for stories and pictures and recipes about my dad when he was a kid or about Nana.

I guess my Auntie Patti wanted to make these and Ann copied me when she sent the recipe. That was over two years ago, but I've been trying to get this stuff written down.

Anyway... We embarked on a new healthier eating lifestyle yesterday. So of course, Sunday I made gigantic burgers & fries for dinner with Nana's Whoopie Pies for dessert!

I thought it was my first time making them, but I had a weird kinda deja vu feeling while I was putting them together, so who knows!

Anyway from Auntie Ann =)

Photobucket

Nana's Whoopie Pies
Cakes:
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 egg
1 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 425F
Cream together shortening and sugar
Beat in egg, milk and vanilla.
Whisk together dry ingredients.
Add to wet ingredients and mix well.
Drop by spoonful onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets.

Bake at 425 for 7 minutes.

Cool baked cakes on rack.

Filling:
1/2 C shortening
1 C powdered sugar
1 C Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 TBLS milk

Beat all filling ingredients well.

When cakes are cooled completely frost flat side of half the cakes. Top with the other half of the cakes and ENJOY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here we go!

Cream together shortening and sugar.
Photobucket

Beat in egg, milk and vanilla.
Photobucket

Whisk together dry ingredients.
Photobucket

Add to wet ingredients and mix well.
Photobucket

Drop by spoonful onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. I really don't like single duty kitchen tools. I just don't have the space for them. But when I was making these, I was kinda wishing for one of those cookie scoop things. Then maybe I'd have nice round, all the same size little cakes. Oh well... two spoons for me!
Photobucket

Bake at 425 for 7 minutes.
Photobucket

Cool baked cakes on rack.
Photobucket

Ok... make the filling. (mmmmmmm.... frosting....)
Photobucket

Ready to assemble! So I grabbed a platter. Isn't this cool?? I got it at GoodWill for like a buck. I have a couple smaller ones that go with it too. But I just love it!
Photobucket

Photobucket

I wanted to be sure that I used up ALL of the frosting. So I turned half of the cakes flat side up, picked as close a match as I could for size and shape and put the other half flat side down. (does that make sense?) I did have one extra... so I gave it to Jon. =)
Photobucket

Then I started frosting.
Photobucket

Photobucket

All (in this case half is all) frosted!
Photobucket

Now just cover them with the other halves.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Bob said...

Wow, those look awesome!

Michele said...

OMG!!! That's just cruel!!! You should have made those last week! I'm a sucker for anything chocolate! They look incredible!

Spryte said...

They are really rich & chocolaty!