Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheesy Baked Sloppy Joes

So the other day Test Kitchen Recipes showed up on the The Foodie Blogroll. I try to check out all the blogs on the widget and I'm glad I didn't miss hers! It's totally filled food I would (and do) make! Yay!!

So as I went through the entire blog, I found Nicole's Hot Sloppy Joe Sandwiches and HAD to make them.

I made them almost exactly the same... but added some more beef, more Worcestershire sauce and omitted the olives. This the recipe using my changes.

Cheesy Baked Sloppy Joes
2 lbs lean ground beef (I used 92%)
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1/2 bell pepper, chopped fine
1 can tomato soup
1/4 C ketchup
2 TBLS mustard
2 TBLS Worcestershire sauce
2 TBLS vinegar
2 TBLS brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
8 sub rolls, 6 inch

Preheat oven to 350F
Brown ground beef, onions and peppers. Drain off any excess fat. Add all ingredients except cheese & sub rolls. Simmer 5 minutes. Scoop out some of the bread from the inside of the sub rolls to make room for meat and cheese. Add 5oz of meat mixture and 1/4 C shredded cheese to each sub roll. Wrap each sub in foil and bake for 15 minutes.
Unwrap and Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brown ground beef, onions and peppers.
Photobucket

Drain off any excess fat.
Photobucket

Add all ingredients except cheese & sub rolls.
Photobucket

Simmer 5 minutes.
Photobucket

Scoop out some of the bread from the inside of the sub rolls to make room for meat and cheese. (I'm not so great at that!)
Photobucket

Add 5oz of meat mixture and 1/4 C shredded cheese to each sub roll.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Wrap each sub in foil and bake for 15 minutes. (This makes 8, but I only needed 5 for dinner)
Photobucket

Unwrap and Enjoy!
Photobucket

These were a big hit at my house!

6 comments:

Bob said...

Nice, I love sloppy joes. :)

Spryte said...

Me too. This was the first time that I made them from scratch and they were so good!

Reeni said...

Those look amazing!! I've never seen anyone put cheese on their sloppy joes. YUM!!!!

Spryte said...

I know! When I saw them on Test Kitchen Recipes, I HAD to make them!

Michele said...

Those look great! With reduced fat cheese and sirloin it really isn't that bad, right? I made sloppy Joe's once They were okay, not great, but edible. Looks so much better with cheese! But then again, everything is better with cheese!

Spryte said...

Yup you could definitely use reduced fat cheese!