Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Light Chicken Biryani & My Garden

Pretty much everyone at my house could stand to lighten up a bit.

I don't mind eating light. But I refuse to skimp on flavor!

While looking for flavorful, light recipes containing chicken breast, I stumbled across this recipe from Cooking Light. It's BURSTING with flavor! I couldn't wait to try it! I tweaked it a bit and came up with this.

Photobucket

Light Chicken Biryani
1 1/2 C jasmine rice, uncooked
2 1/4 C water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp saffron, crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp salt (yup another one...)
1 TBLS olive oil
1 1/2 C onion, diced
4 tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
3 garlic cloves, grated
3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
2 C plain yogurt (do not use non-fat)
1 C golden seedless raisins
1 C dry-roasted cashews, chopped
1/2 C fresh cilantro

In a rice cooker, combine jasmine rice, water, 1 tsp salt, saffron and cinnamon stick. Cook according to rice cooker directions.

Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and saute in olive oil. When lightly browned, remove from pan and keep warm.

Add onion, 1/2 tsp salt, hot curry powder, cardamom, ginger, garlic and serranos to pan and saute until tender.

Add yogurt and whisk until well combined. Add chicken and raisins. Cook until heated through.

Remove cinnamon stick from rice and discard. Stir rice into chicken mixture until well combined.

Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro.

Makes 8 hearty satisfying 1 cup servings.

Enjoy!

Per Serving:
Calories:447.1
Fat: 11.9g
Carbohydrates: 58.3g
Protein: 28.4g

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In a rice cooker, combine jasmine rice, water, 1 tsp salt, saffron and cinnamon stick. Cook according to rice cooker directions.
Photobucket

Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and saute in olive oil.
When lightly browned, remove from pan and keep warm.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Add onion, 1/2 tsp salt, hot curry powder, cardamom, ginger, garlic and serranos to pan and saute until tender.
Photobucket

Stand back! The fumes of the chiles are very strong!
Photobucket

Add yogurt and whisk until well combined.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

If you look closely you can see that my yogurt broke down.
Photobucket

I used low-fat yogurt. And the dish tasted fine.

But next time, I think I'll use full fat yogurt.
It should be creamy with full fat... and there aren't a ton of calories in yogurt, so this would still totally be a low fat dinner.

Definitely don't use NON fat yogurt.

Ok... back to cooking!

Add the chicken & raisins to the sauce.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Remove the cinnamon stick from your rice.
(the rice smelled amazing while it was cooking!!)
Photobucket

Stir the rice into the pan with the chicken.

I didn't use a big enough skillet, so I had to move everything to a pot.
Photobucket

Garnish with chopped cashews & cilantro leaves and enjoy!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now I've never tasted Chicken Biryani, so I don't know how this stands up to the full fat, baked, made with ghee version.

But it was really good and I will be making it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for a garden update!

Just for a refresher...

Here's the previous picture of my Grape Tomato Plants.
Photobucket

This is them this morning.
Photobucket

They've been moved to their summer home (against my house, instead of the back wall)

Oh yeah...

My snack bar is getting ready to open!
Photobucket

Very few Grape Tomatoes actually make it into the house.

I just eat them every time I walk by!

Along the back wall, I had originally intended to just put pots of something cheap and green. Well... green stuff isn't necessarily cheap.

I ended up putting alternating pots of Celosia and Petaluna.
Photobucket

I'm not super thrilled with it. Maybe once they start blooming I'll like it better.
I'll just have to wait and see.

To the left of the Celosia & Petaluna, I planted some seeds.
Mustard in the round one and Cilantro in the long one.
Photobucket

Back row is:
Grape Tomato, Poblano Chile, Jalapeno Chile, Habanero Chile, Thai Chile.
Photobucket
Front row is:
Dahlias, Begonias, Petunias, Celosia, Petunias

Two pots of Jasmine in the back.
Photobucket
In the front: Melampodium (Butter Daisy... I had to look up Melampodium), Begonias, Celosia & Petunias

My herb garden pic has a weird sun angle and is hard to see... I'll post a better pic next time.
Photobucket

Another funky sun pic... Caladium
Photobucket

I've never grown it, but when Jon pointed it out... I LOVED it!

Gerber Daisies
Photobucket

Little Yellow Roses (I've never grown these either)
Photobucket

Looking toward the door.
Photobucket

Looking toward the street.
Photobucket

We melted a hole in Lil Pete's pot!! He got too close to the grill! Oops!

Well... that's it for today!

Thanks for stopping by!!

12 comments:

Michele said...

I totally need to lighten things up! I'm gaining so much weight!!!!!

I don't know if I like curry but I will try it. It looks great!

PS - your grape tomatoes look sooo awesome!

Cathy said...

Spryte - that's one of my favourite chicken biryani dishes. I love the raisins and I make this quite often in the winter with homemade naan bread! I'm really jealous - your flowers look great! We had frost on the ground this a.m.

Debbie said...

I have never made chicken with the combo of all those flavors. It sounds absolultely delicous. Love all your plants. We are trying to grow some tomatoes, peppers and herbs this year....

Anonymous said...

I had to come over and peek in on your garden. Everything looks so great already! All of my stuff has been stunted almost, due to the torential rains and then humid weather. Hope I catch up with ya soon! Tell lil' Pete I said hi LOL

Heather S-G said...

Oh man, that does have some great flavors, yum!! Your garden is looking great :D

Donna-FFW said...

That chicken dish looks loaded with delicious flavors.. I so enjoyed your garden pictures. I am missing planting mine this year due to the move.

Unknown said...

ok....totally yum!! and awwww, lovin the garden. I miss the excitement of seeing the baby tomatoes grow up and then turn red. (sigh) maybe next year I'll be able to get back into my veggie garden. Until then I'll live vicariously through you :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That dish looks absolutely delicious... oh how I'm craving indian food now! I also have garden envy... your flowers are beautiful!

Unknown said...

thank you for such wonderful recipes..il surely try them out...Please check out the blog mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love it!!!

www.stay-sharp.in

teresa said...

Oooh, look at all those flavors! This looks delicious and your garden is looking beautiful!

Ozge said...

Someone could steal my heart with this, seriously.

Reeni said...

This looks really good, loaded with spices and great flavors. Your garden is so pretty!!