Monday, June 21, 2010

Guacamole ~ Revisited

I put guacamole up on Spryte's Place way back when I first started.

I'm reposting it to add pics. The recipe hasn't changed.

Photobucket

My favorite guacamole has only four ingredients.

~Avocado
~Red Onion
~Lime Juice
~Salt

That's it!

Photobucket

Guacamole
2 or 3 ripe avocados, peeled and lightly mashed with fork
1 small red onion, diced
lime juice (2 or 3 TBLS) preferably fresh, but bottled is ok
a big pinch of kosher salt

Slice the avocados in half, around the pit.
Photobucket

Scoop them into a bowl.
Photobucket

A perfectly ripe avocado should just give when you apply a little pressure. I said a little pressure, because when I was trying to show Jon how to pick a ripe avocado, he was applying so much pressure that his fingertips were turning white. He was lucky that our grocery store rarely has ripe avocados, or he could have had quite a mess on his hands!

Mash the avocados gently with a fork. I like there to still be nice chunks in it.
Photobucket

Add some diced red onion.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Squeeze in some fresh lime juice.
Photobucket

Some salt.
Photobucket

Mix gently.
Photobucket

Now enjoy!!
Photobucket

You can add lots of other stuff to guacamole.

Some people stir in sour cream or salsa, diced tomatoes, diced jalapenos, cilantro. Lots of different things.

But this is my FAVORITE!
Photobucket

I put it on everything! Nachos, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, burgers, sandwiches, everything!

It was AWESOME on this turkey sandwich!
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'm also submitting this to girlichef for Two for Tuesdays!
24TbadgeGIRLICHEF

7 comments:

Christy said...

I love homemade guacamole! Simple is so good.

Alex@amoderatelife said...

Oh holy guacamole I love this dish! I also love to try other folks recipes to keep it interesting! Thanks for sharing the real food love at the Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop! :) alex

Heather S-G said...

One of my favorite things EVER!! Love the simplicity of yours...shows off the pure awesomeness of the avocado! YUM :) Thanks so much for bringing it to Two for Tuesdays this week, M...

Tangled Noodle said...

I think our local supermarket has avocados on sale this week. I think I know what I'll be making . . .

Simply superb!!

Unknown said...

YUM! I love guacamole mole mole (sorry..I can't say it with out doing that....it's an austin powers thing).

Bonnie said...

I have two perfectly ripe avocados sitting on my counter. I'm off to chop some onions. Thanks for the simple reminder that less ingredients are good. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Bethany said...

Oh, this is how my husband always makes guacamole too! I love it! So, simple and really accentuates the flavor of the avocado. I have an avocado in the kitchen right now - I was planning on just slicing it up and eating it but you've inspired me I think I'll have to make guacamole!