Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Toasted Coconut Wafers

These are new to my lineup this year. My husband LOVES coconut, so this was pretty high up on my list of 'cookies to try'. They are crispy, buttery and coconuty!

Photobucket

Toasted Coconut Wafers
1 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg, separated
2 1/4 C flour
1 C shredded coconut, toasted
1 1/2 C shredded coconut

Beat butter with electric mixer. Add powdered sugar, almond and salt. Mix until combined. Beat in egg yolk. Mix in flour. Then stir in toasted coconut.
Divide dough in half and shape each half into and 8-inch roll.
Brush with egg white and roll in coconut. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375F
Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Enjoy.

Better Homes & Gardens

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to toast my coconut. I did it in a 300F oven and had to watch it VERY carefully... I ended up throwing out 2 batches, because I didn't pay close enough attention and it got too over-done.

(I think this pic is blurry ~ sorry about that!)
Photobucket

Prepare dough as directed above.

Brush with egg whites.
Photobucket

Then roll in coconut.
Photobucket

Wrap & refrigerate.
Photobucket

Slice and bake on parchment paper lined cookie trays 10 - 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy!!
Photobucket

Next time I make these, I think I'll omit the egg whites & roll in coconut and bake as is. Then dip them in dark chocolate and shredded coconut. =)

3 comments:

~Amber~ said...

These look delicious! I bet my husband would love them, he is a coconut freak.

Bob said...

These look awesome! I love coconut, but my girlfriend isn't a fan. If I made these I would wind up eating them all myself. Wait a second... :D

Ericka said...

Hmmm.... I think I'm going to have to make these - maybe I'll try your chocolate variation.