Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peppermint Kisses

These were always on my mom's Christmas Cookie Trays growing up. She calls them Surprise Kisses... but I think lots of people don't necessarily like to be surprised with their food. So I'm calling them Peppermint Kisses. =)

Photobucket

Peppermint Kisses
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 C sugar
1 C chopped nuts (I like walnuts or pecans)
1 handful peppermint hard candies (or candy canes) - crushed

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a cold bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, beat in salt and cream of tarter, gradually beat in sugar. Gently fold in chopped nuts and crushed candies.
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. Cool on 5 - 10 minutes on tray.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a cold bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, beat in salt and cream of tarter, gradually beat in sugar. (this came out so good I wanted to use if for Lemon Meringue Pie!)
Photobucket

I crushed my candy canes with bottom of a glass and wasn't thrilled with the texture (plus the bag was ripping everywhere)
Photobucket

Photobucket

So I tossed them into my Oster Beehive Blender (which I LOVE) and they came out great!
Photobucket

Gently fold in chopped nuts and crushed candies.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I can't stress enough, that your cookie sheet MUST be lined with parchment paper. If you try to get these off of an unlined cookie sheet, you'll probably never try to make them again.
Photobucket

Bake at 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. Cool on 5 - 10 minutes on tray.
Photobucket

Finish cooling on wire rack.
Photobucket

Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

These sound amazing. I definitely need to give them a try.

Cheesewench said...

Those look similar to the anise cookies I usually make at Christmas. The anise cookies actually sit out at room temp for at least 8 hours so the meringue develops into a hard shell, then they're baked. So much work, but so worth it.

Happy New Year!