Monday, September 14, 2009

Spaghetti Tacos

When I saw Spaghetti Tacos on Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi, I knew I had to make them!

Like Heidi's kids, my kids also watch iCarly on Nickelodeon. I've seen Carly's brother Spencer whip up a big batch of Spaghetti Tacos for Carly and her friends, but it never occurred to me to actually make them. Well, not until I saw Heidi do it!

Photobucket

Spaghetti Tacos
Spaghetti with meat sauce (your favorite)
Taco Shells

Put cooked spaghetti with meat sauce into heated taco shells.
Eat!

Yup... that's it!

I didn't tell anyone what I was making for dinner until it was almost ready.

Jon was not excited. He said he'd eat one, but he really wasn't happy about it. He'd never heard of them and said that he doesn't like spaghetti with the sauce mixed in (it should be on top) and it definitely doesn't belong in a taco shell.

Bob didn't seem to care either way, but he knew what they were.

Lilly knew what they were and was very excited we were having Spaghetti Tacos.

Tawny didn't know what they were, or where I came up with them. She was on the phone with a friend while we were talking about it and he knew right away what Spaghetti Tacos were. She also was not excited about the idea.

Bob tried them first. He took one bite and dumped the spaghetti out of the taco shell and just ate it from the plate. Definitely not a winner in his book. But he will eat mountains of spaghetti, so not a total loss.

Lilly loved them right away and asked for another. Definitely a winner for Lilly.

Jon ate his Spaghetti Taco, but remained not thrilled about it. He opted for some additional spaghetti on his plate. But since it was already still mixed with sauce, still wasn't wicked thrilled. Dinner = FAIL for Jon!

Tawny wasn't thrilled at first, but then decided she really liked it and also had another Spaghetti Taco. Actually, last night she was looking for leftover spaghetti to make a Spaghetti Taco. Definitely a winner Tawny.

I had two. They were interesting. Can't say that I loved them. But they also weren't gross.

I really made them for the fun factor of making an unusual food that the kids see on TV. I thought they'd get a kick out of it. And they did. Ok... two did, and one wasn't mine, it was Tawny's friend on the phone.

But both girls loved them. Bob loves spaghetti. Jon and I, well... we had an unusual dinner.

Will I make them again? Probably not. But, Tawny probably will. I always have taco shells and often have leftover spaghetti.

Photobucket

If your kids watch iCarly, you should give these a try for a fun dinner. Even though I didn't really enjoy eating them, it was a lot of fun making them and surprising the kids!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea :)

Heather S-G said...

Yeah. I never really thought they sounded good...but I should probably make them cuz I'm sure my kids would get a kick out of them...if nothing else! Fun idea :D

Michele said...

Definitely good for the kids. Tell Jon that he is totally wrong. Pasta and sauce are supposed to be mixed in. It's not supposed to be just put on top. That's prob just the photo on the prego jar. lol

DutchBakerGirl said...

Yup--my daughter would probably like them and Pete would just dump the spaghetti on his plate. I'll stick to those wonderful barbequed burritos that you made a while back. Those were fabulous!

Unknown said...

LMAO!! That is hysterical! I love how Bob dumped them out and just ate it off the plate...cracked me up. Poor Jon!

Dajana said...

I'll stick to the "fun idea" cause if I made these everyone would just drop spaghetti on their plate.
Agree with Michele, pasta must be mixed and tossed with sauce.

Patti T. said...

If I had kids at home I might try this, but since I don't I will stick to just regular spaghetti or tacos, not together. (I like mine with the sauce on top also.) I just think it looks prettier. My Italian friends mix it up and pass with "gravy."

teresa said...

my kids would totally go for this too!

angelinthekitchen said...

This idea made me laugh -- I've never seen anything like it! :)

Heidi said...

Ha Ha, what a dinner. Glad at least some of them enjoyed it! My husband and I tried one, but then ate regular old spaghetti. This is fun if you have leftover spaghetti and taco shells... and it's more of a "kid" food than adult food.

Shane T. Wingerd said...

HA HA.. This is a really cute idea... I will have to try it out on my Nieces and Nephews after I get back to Portland... LOL

test it comm said...

I like the sound of spaghetti tacos!

Robin said...

I told my kids about these and they cracked up. They know that show too! But they did not want me to make these- too bad!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has beged and pleaded for me to make them for a while...since she first heard of them on iCarley, of course. I gave in and tonight is the big night. Wish us luck!