Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Huevos Rancheros ~ Three Ways

Hey... remember me??

Please forgive my recent absence. I've embarked on a new healthy lifestyle. I'm eating balanced healthy meals and exercising EVERY day! Some of my balanced healthy meals have been a major FAIL... others are tasty and delicious. But it takes a LOT more time and planning to be consistent. So, I think I finally have the healthy eating and exercising thing down. (I've lost over 30 pounds and 22 inches this year!) Yay me!

But I think I can finally get back to blogging!

So anyway... It's Cinco de Mayo!

I LOVE Cinco de Mayo!!

I really don't know anything about The Battle of Puebla, other than the Mexican Army beat the French. I just love Mexican food and tequila! Also it's my mother-in-law's birthday. (Happy Birthday Judy!) I wish it was my birthday! But then I wouldn't be an Aries... hmmm... nevermind... I'll just eat Mexican food and drink tequila on my birthday... but I never seem to do that, now that I think about it. Ok... that's why I try to always have a Cinco de Mayo party! Although technically it will be Ocho de Mayo this year.

Anyway... today is Huevos Rancheros... Three Ways!

The perfect way to get back to blogging on Cinco de Mayo!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

First you'll need to make a Rancheros Sauce. It's wicked easy!

Rancheros Sauce
2 small yellow onions, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 large jalapeno, diced
1 large can of diced tomatoes (about 3 cups)
1 TBLS fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp chile powder
1 big pinch cumin
a little veggie oil

Heat a little veggie oil in a skillet. Saute onions, garlic and jalapeno until tender. Add tomatoes. You can totally use fresh tomatoes, but I made this during the winter, in Pittsburgh and the tomatoes around here at that time of the year aren't very flavorful. Simmer that for a few minutes and add chile powder, cumin and cilantro. Simmer a few more minutes. Blend with a stick blender. I like it to still be a little chunky. But blend to your chunky preference.

That's it! Wicked easy, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chop up the veggies.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

And get them sauteing in a little bit of oil.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Add tomatoes and simmer a few minutes.
Photobucket

Add chile powder, cumin & cilantro and simmer a little more.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

If it's too chunky, hit it with the stick blender a little. I gave it the smallest whir.
Photobucket

Now you have Rancheros Sauce!

It's time for Huevos Rancheros!

First I went classic.

Fry up a couple of Over-Easy Eggs.
Photobucket

Heat a couple of Corn Tortillas.
Photobucket

Add some heated Refried Beans.
Photobucket

Slide those beautiful Over-Easy Eggs on top of the Refried Beans.
Photobucket
(not sure what happened to the light here!)

Add some of that gorgeous Rancheros Sauce and some fresh Cilantro and breakfast is served!!
Photobucket
Photobucket

I had plenty of Rancheros Sauce, so the next day I put a Mexican spin on my Eggs in Purgatory.

Pour some of that lovely Rancheros Sauce into a ramekin.
Photobucket

Crack in a nice fresh egg.
Photobucket

Sprinkle with a little cheese.
Photobucket
Cojito would have been nice, but I only had Colby/Jack, so that's what I used.

Bake at 375F for about 10 minutes for a soft yolk.
Photobucket

And why exactly did I neglect to put cilantro on this??

Serve with warm corn tortilla wedges.
Photobucket

Mmmmmm.....
Photobucket

And on the the last version...

Huevos Rancheros Pizza!!

Thanks to Shane of Culinary Alchemist for the idea!

First you need pizza crust.

Make your own or use a prepared crust.

I used a prepared crust, because I had one.
Photobucket

Spread on some refried beans.
Photobucket

Some of that gorgeous Rancheros Sauce!
Photobucket

I made little wells in the sauce, then cracked in two eggs.
Photobucket

Sprinkled on some Colby/Jack Cheese.
Photobucket

Some fresh Cilantro
Photobucket

And into the oven until the eggs are set and the cheese is melty!
Photobucket

Breakfast for two!
Photobucket

I have to say, I loved all of the versions of Huevos Rancheros that I tried that week. But my favorite would have to be the pizza!!

I'd LOVE to have one of those right about now!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

11 comments:

Joanna said...

Welcome back, Spryte! First of al,l congrats to you on adopting a healthier lifestyle and losing all that weight! Amazing!

And I have to try that pizza, it looks awesome! I made baked eggs today, too, but the cheesy Mexican version looks yummy.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Wow, it's hard to lose even five pounds, so your feat is quite impressive. Love the cinco di mayo treats.

watchmenow said...

Awesome weight loss -- Congrats! And glad to see you back.

Julie said...

Congrats on your weight loss! I'm trying to shave some off myself and feel at a bit of a standstill. The eggs look awesome!!

rebekah said...

yay you're back!

congrats on the diet success! i'm impressed! and your huevos look divine.

Patti T. said...

Congratulations on the weight loss Spryte!! It is nice to see you back.

Unknown said...

WElcome back!! Congrats on the success of your healthier eating and weight loss. And your huevos ranchero selections look way yummy!

teresa said...

AWESOME job! i need to get my act together and follow your lead. these look wonderful.

tamilyn said...

congrats on the weight loss! I've been trying but after being on light duty at work at a desk job, the loss has gone backwards :(

I had to laugh at the 'egg eyes' it was the thing that popped out at me first :)

tasteofbeirut said...

I love Mexican food and living in Texas at the moment I am lucky to have it at my disposal here, aplenty.
Your huevos rancheros look so good!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a really great dish. I found your blog by chance and had planned only to drop by and say hello. I was lured by your prior posts and ended up staying far longer than I had intended. Your food is wonderful. I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary