Friday, May 14, 2010

Mexican Brownies

As promised, Mexican Brownies!

At the Ocho de Mayo Party, I wanted to try something new... but not too difficult. Last year I made Flan. It tasted great, but had a weird mouth-feel. Instead of experimenting with that more, I decided Mexican Brownies would be pretty easy... and they were!

After searching the interwebs for awhile, I settled on FoodTV's Aaron Sanchez's Mexican Brownies. It has a 5-star rating and lots of good reviews.

Photobucket

Mexican Brownies
1 C butter, plus more for greasing
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 C good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground Mexican cinnamon (canela)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper and either rub butter papers to grease or spray with cooking spray.

Melt butter over medium-low heat; do not boil. Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the saucepan and mix well.

Add cocoa, flour, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and baking powder and mix well; until smooth.

Spread into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out with fudgy crumbs.

Cool on rack.

Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are no step-by-step pictures with this one either. It was a really busy night!

I had planned to add some finely chopped dark chocolate to the brownies. But when I started baking them I realized I only had about half of the cocoa powder needed. I balanced it out with dark cocoa powder, so I didn't have to make another trip to the store. But I decided to omit the dark chocolate, which the recipe didn't call for anyway!

These came out really good. I think I would have liked them better if there had been a little more heat in the background. I think about half of the people who tried them got a little heat and the other half didn't.

I didn't want melt-your-face-off hot... but something a little noticeable. I didn't notice the heat. Maybe it was the addition of the dark cocoa. Or maybe I just needed more cayenne.

This is definitely a keeper! If you like your brownies fudgy... definitely try these!!

Photobucket

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Patti T. said...

These look and sound so good, I am afraid I would be the only one to eat them here though. Everybody shrinks away at the mention of cayenne.

Unknown said...

Not that long ago I made mexican hot chocolate cookies and didn't notice the heat...but I could taste the flavor of the cayenne. Which was a nice change.
Your brownies sound fantastic

teresa said...

love the kick of that cayenne!

The Cooking Photographer said...

I bet these are awesome!!!!