Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes

I needed a side dish to go with Miso Ginger Chicken last night and decided to try my hand at Wasabi Mashed Potatoes.

They were good... but I think they could have used more garlic flavor. But this is what I did last night!

Photobucket

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes (printable recipe)
3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes (my favorite for mashies)
1 C evaporated milk
1/2 C butter
4 cloves of garlic, smacked
1 Tbls Wasabi paste
2 tsp sesame oil
salt & pepper
green onions

Peel & cut potatoes and boil until tender.
Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine evaporated milk, butter and smacked garlic. (smacked garlic is just peeled then smacked with the flat side of knife... bigger chunks than a rough chop)
Heat on low heat until butter is melted and hot. Don't boil it.
I usually prefer 'mashed' potatoes... but this time I used my hand mixer, for extra smooth creaminess.
Drain cooked potatoes.
Strain garlic out of milk & butter.
Pour milk & butter into potatoes and whip with hand mixer.
Add in sesame oil, wasabi and salt & pepper to taste.
Garnish with green onions.
Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Here's what you need.
Photobucket

Peel, cut and boil your potatoes until tender.
Photobucket

While they're cooking, in a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, butter and garlic. Heat through, but don't boil.
Photobucket

When your potatoes are cooked drain them. Then strain the garlic out of the milk and butter. (Next time I might just squeeze a head or two of roasted garlic into the potatoes... they could have been more garlicky)

Pour hot milk & butter into potatoes and mash.
I used my hand mixer for this. I do usually like my mashed potatoes a little lumpy... but since I was trying something new, I figured I'd go creamy this time.
Photobucket

Add wasabi paste, sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well.
Garnish with green onions.

It's ready to co-star with your favorite meat!
Photobucket

Enjoy!

No comments: