Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Grilled Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Sauce

Last Friday as I was driving to work, I heard an ad on the radio that Aaron McCargo Jr from The Next Food Network Star, would be at a nearby Market District on Saturday morning. I decided that I definitely wanted to go! Big Daddy's House is one of my favorite new FoodTV shows. He makes food I would definitely cook for my family.

I got there a few minutes late, but was still able to get a pretty good seat. I was really excited to find out he was also doing a Food Demo! I thought it was just a meet and greet type thing. He was fun, funny and friendly. It was so much fun to see a live Food Demo. I have never been to one before and hope to go to many many more!

He made Chicken Gyros (again... he makes stuff I'd totally cook for my family!) I was pretty psyched. I figured, if they looked good, I'd make them for dinner that night. They looked great! Very easy. It was like watching his show, but you could smell everything! A few lucky spectators also got to taste! I wasn't one of them. But it was still so much fun. Market District had prepared a bunch of them, so when he was finishing up, we did all get to try his recipe. YUM!!

I really only got one good pic of him doing the demo (the lady in front of me kept standing up to take pics *grrr*)

Photobucket

Then he hung around and signed autographs and took pictures with anyone who wanted them. He was wicked nice!

Of course, I had my picture taken with Aaron. =)
Photobucket

Anyway! The Chicken Gyros rocked! I was going to make them Saturday night, but as usual, my dinner plans rarely happen on the day I plan! I made them last night.

Grilled Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Sauce
Courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.

Cucumber Sauce
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
8 oz sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1 TBLS chopped garlic
1/2 TBLS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

For Gyro
3 TBLS canola oil
1 TBLS chopped garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 TBLS freshly chopped parsley leaves
1 TBLS fresh lemon juice
4 8oz chicken breasts, trimmed
4 pocketless pitas
tomatoes, onion, and lettuce for serving.

Cucumber Sauce:
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Set aside.

For the Gyro:
In a medium blow, mix the canola oil, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, fresh parsley and lemon juice and whisk until combined. Add the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.

Preheat grill to medium high heat.
Remove chicken from marinade and place on hot grill for 6 to 7 minutes on each side.
Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into medium-sized strips. Brush pita with oil and grill for 30 seconds. Removed from grill and spread cucumber sauce onto pita. Add tomato, onions, lettuce and chicken to pita and fold pita over.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



So anyway... I gathered my ingredients for the marinade.
Photobucket

Put the oil in a bowl
Photobucket

Chopped my garlic
Photobucket

Photobucket

Added it to the oil
Photobucket

Added salt & pepper
Photobucket

Fresh chopped parsley
Photobucket

Fresh lemon juice... if you press on the lemon and roll it a little, the juice will come out better.
Photobucket

Squeezed that in (careful of the seeds)
Photobucket

Mixed that all up!
Photobucket

Next I trimmed up my chicken breasts.
Photobucket

And the wicked cool thing I learned at the demo... BUTTERFLY THE CHICKEN BREASTS!
Photobucket

Photobucket

How cool is that!??!!
Photobucket

Add all the chicken breasts to the marinade and toss to coat them all well.
Photobucket

Time to move on to the Cucumber Sauce while the chicken in marinating.

For a thicker sauce, pour your sour cream into a cloth lined bowl.
Photobucket

Peel the cucumber.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cut it in half lengthwise
Photobucket

And scoop out the seeds
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now dice it up.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Move the drained sour cream to a bowl.
Photobucket

Add the diced cucumber.
Photobucket

Chop the garlic. (I chop so much garlic, I should use stock photos for this!)
Photobucket

Add that to the sauce.
Photobucket

Salt & Pepper
Photobucket

Fresh lemon juice.
Photobucket

Stir well and set aside.
Photobucket

Now the chicken is ready to grill. I just used my Foreman Grill, because I didn't want to mess with charcoal last night.
Photobucket

YUM! LOVE the butterflied breasts!!!
Photobucket

Set them aside for 5 minutes.
Photobucket

I heated my pitas in the microwave, but if I had thought about it, I would have thrown them into a cast iron skillet for a minute.
Photobucket

Add some cucumber sauce
Photobucket

Lettuce
Photobucket

Some of that YUMMY grilled chicken
Photobucket

Onions
Photobucket

Tomatoes
Photobucket

More sauce!! (cuz it's SO good!!)
Photobucket

Fold it up and enjoy!!
Photobucket

I'll definitely make these again!

Thanks Aaron!

6 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Aaron seems like a great guy. How awesome that you got to see a cooking demo and meet him! This recipe sounds amazing!

Spryte said...

It was so much fun!!!

Michele said...

That's so exciting and the dish looks great!!!! Thanks for posting this!

Bob said...

Those look awesome. Makes me wish I had cable, I love FoodNetwork. I'm impressed you can butterfly the chicken. I've tried to do it that way and it always turns into chunks... heh.

Ericka said...

Cute, and he can cook!

Brittany said...

Am TOTALLY making this!