Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sausage Balls

Hey! Happy New Year!!!

I hope your holidays were merry!

At my Gingerbread House Decorating Party, the activity itself took up an overwhelming majority of horizontal surface in my small house.

You might have noticed that I LOVE to feed people. There's no way I would invite people over without serving food & beverages; but this time, there would definitely not be any place for anyone to actually sit to eat. So I decided to serve only appetizers that could be eaten from a napkin or a toothpick.

Jeannie's Little Quiches would be perfect... hmmm... but little time for making all the little ones, since I procrastinated the menu until the very last minute. So I made her quiche in a 13x9 pan and cut it into little squares. Totally do-able on a napkin. Plus some dips... some olives/cornichons/onions/marinated mushrooms... what else?

Ah!! Sausage Balls!!

Growing up, every Christmas Eve was open house at our house. Our family and friends would come and go all evening. I can remember Auntie Louie and Uncle Bert (titles earned by being close friends to my parents) teasing my sister and I that we should get to bed so Santa would come...

Oh wait... sorry for the detour...

Sausage Balls... my mom made Sausage Balls for our Christmas Eve open house. I don't know if she made them every year or only once or twice. But they stand out in my mind. When something from my youth stands out so prominently like that, I get a little afraid that the recreation of it can never live up to my memory; but the Sausage Balls did not disappoint!

It's a 3 ingredient recipe, courtesy of Bisquick!

Photobucket

Sausage Balls
2 C Bisquick
10 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 lb Sausage

Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix all ingredients until very well combined. Form into 1.5 inch balls.
Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Enjoy!

This is all you need.
Photobucket

You can use whatever sausage you like. I went with Sweet Italian.

Mix all ingredients until very well combined.

The best tool for this is your hands.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Roll them into balls.
Photobucket

Bake on trays for 20 minutes at 350F.
Photobucket

That's it!
Photobucket

Why did I wait so long to make these?? They were so easy and so delicious!!

They totally lived up to my memory!

Ugh... I'm sitting at my desk, typing this, I had a Lean Cuisine for lunch, I'm looking at an apple... and all I want is some Sausage Balls!!

These were definitely a hit!! Bobby LOVED them. They disappeared quickly! I'll definitely be making them again soon. Super Bowl's coming up, they'd be PERFECT for that!!

If you loved these from your past or are just learning about them today, I highly suggest you give them a try!

11 comments:

tamilyn said...

Yum! Those sound delish. Hmmm, party this weekend....maybe some sausage balls?

Patti T. said...

Many years ago I made these for my sausage loving husband. He "requested" that I not make them again saying they were dry. Did yours seem dry? If not maybe I should give them a try again.

Spryte said...

Mine were definitely not dry at all... I think you have to be sure to really mix everything really really well.

teresa said...

so yummy!! now i'm craving some!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I've eaten these at parties in years past and they are totally addictive. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Heather S-G said...

Man, these do sound good. It's almost toooo easy...makes me suspicious ;) Kidding...totally making these for our next family get together!

Unknown said...

ooooh, I've made these before and I LOVE them!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bisquick?
You sure like shortcuts.

Spryte said...

I do like short cuts. Some things I make from scratch, some I don't. This is a recipe from my childhood that I love. At least I wasn't afraid to put my name on it Mr/Ms Anonymous! Thanks for stopping by! =)

Anonymous said...

Hey! No need to get panties in a wad.
Only goggling thru.
You have problems with different thoughts. I'll keep googling by without you collecting my private info.

Spryte said...

No problems with different thoughts at all! Like I said some recipes are from scratch... some are not. You can google anywhere you like with your anonymous self.. enjoy the day! =)