Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

I've only made my own spaghetti sauce 3 times. The first time it was amazing. I put bay scallops, baby clams and crab in it. I also didn't keep track of what I was doing and have absolutely no idea of what else went into it.

The second time I made sauce, it was just kinda blah, not very flavorful.

I made some over the weekend and although I didn't write it down, my pictures helped me remember. (since it's still pretty recent!)

So does it count as from scratch if I used canned tomatoes? If not... this is semi-homemade. =)

Photobucket

Spryte's Spaghetti Sauce
(all measurements are approximate)
1 Tbls olive oil
1 C diced onions
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C dry white wine
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 TBLS Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I had no crushed red pepper)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan, romano & asiago cheese

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until onion are translucent.
Add white wine and simmer a couple minutes.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, bay leaf and cayenne pepper.
Stir well and simmer about 30 minutes.
It's ready for your spaghetti sauce needs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until onion are translucent.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Add a big splash of white wine and simmer a couple minutes.
Photobucket

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jon doesn't like onions and I didn't even try to cut these so small they were unnoticeable. So after simmering this for a while, I pulled out the bay leaf and hit it up with the stick blender. Then I added the bay leaf back in and simmered it a little longer.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

YUM!! I was very happy with how it came out and I wanted to just eat it with bread!!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Shane T. Wingerd said...

I use canned tomatoes in mine too, cause I know they were picked fresh instead of green and then gassed with ethylene... So I would say it's homemade... LOL Looks REALLY good!! I am glad you were able to use your photos to re-create it.. YAY!

Bob said...

It totally counts as homemade. Looks wicked good, homemade spaghetti sauce is the bomb!

Heather S-G said...

Of course it still counts as homemade!!! And...homemade spaghetti sauce IS definitely the best...I'm loving that first one with the seafood :P

Michele said...

Yes!!! It's homemade! Homemade is the only way to go!!! I love that you used so much garlic!

Peter M said...

There's nothing wrong with using good quality canned tomatoes. I like using whole plum tomatoes. You can hand-crush them (chunky sauce) or use the hand blender to puree it.

Either way, you have a tasty, homemade sauce!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm still using jarred sauce, tossing in browned meat, and calling it a day! So this is absolutely down-home, from-scratch as far as I'm concerned. I bet the cayenne gives it such a nice kick!