Monday, March 16, 2009

Colcannon

We don't really do anything for St. Patrick's Day. But if there's an occasion or holiday, I like to make the food that goes with it.

I usually make colcannon. Ok... this was the second year.

It's wicked easy. If you can make mashed potatoes, you can make colcannon.

Photobucket

You'll need:
2 - 3 pounds of potatoes
1.4 lb bacon
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 small head of cabbage
butter
sour cream
salt & pepper

Peel the potatoes
Photobucket

Cut into small pieces and boil until tender.
Photobucket

Shred half a small cabbage.
Photobucket

Dice a medium onion.
Photobucket

Cook a quarter of a pound of bacon and reserve drippings and set bacon aside.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cook onions & cabbage in bacon fat until tender.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Drain the cooked potatoes.
Photobucket

Add butter, sour cream, salt & pepper and mash.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Add crumbled bacon, cabbage & onions to potatoes and mix well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's it!
Photobucket

Last year I served it with corned beef... but I've decided that I don't really care for corned beef. So this year I made it with Mum's Easter Ham.

Stay tuned for her recipe.

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

10 comments:

Maria said...

Happy St. Patty's day to you!! Great recipe for the special day!

Donna-FFW said...

I am trying this recipe Spryte! I love evrything that you put into it. Yeppers, Im making this baby!

Spryte said...

Thanks Maria!

I hope you like it Donna!

Michele said...

That looks great! I've had cabbage but never thought it tasted like much but I bet it tasted bacony!!! Fabulous!

Heather S-G said...

Yum, I love Colcannon...I'm such a "holiday" cook. I love to make what "goes" with the holiday usually once a year :) Yours looks might tasty.

Unknown said...

I have never even heard of Colcannon before (see how much you can learn through bakespace? LOL). Man...I want some of that!!

Anonymous said...

I'm making one today! Yahoo.

Spryte said...

Michele, ya know, I never have cabbage alone, it's always an ingredient =)

Thanks girlichef!

I agree Danielle... BakeSpace is a WEALTH of information!!

Cathy... woohooo!! Enjoy!!

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

Tangled Noodle said...

I don't need St. Pat's as an excuse to make this! The bacon sealed the deal but the whole dish sounds so very, very delicous.

Spryte said...

Tangled... Ya know... I don't know why I don't make this more often!