Thursday, October 11, 2012

Caramel Apple Enchiladas

The second I saw Caramel Apple Enchiladas on In the Kitchen with KP, I knew I had to make them!

Growing up, we used to always go apple picking in the fall so that's when my mom always started making apple desserts! Apple Crisp, Apple Dumplings, Apple Pies...

The weather was cool in Pittsburgh. It was definitely feeling like fall. And I was dying to get my apple on.

As soon as I saw the recipe for Caramel Apple Enchiladas, I couldn't stop thinking about them. Unfortunately, I was heading out of town to help my sister with her annual Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Prevention.

Which, by the way, you can still make a donation to, if you're so inclined, by clicking this link... http://afsp.donordrive.com/participant/spryte

I was considering making them at her house... but we were so busy, there was just no time. So they had to wait... and I have to say, they were definitely worth the wait!!

After checking out LOTS of Apple Enchilada recipes, (most of which called for canned apple pie filling *shudder*) this is what I came up with.



Caramel Apple Enchiladas
5 flour tortillas (soft taco size)
5 apples (I used 3 MacIntosh & 2 Honey Crisp)
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 - 3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 C butter
5 Caramel sheets (used for easy caramel apples)
1 TBLS butter, melted
1 TBLS cinnamon/sugar (for sprinkling)
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Caramel sauce (optional)

Preheat oven to 425F.
Peel, core and chop apples.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter.
Add chopped apples, sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.
Cook apples for about 5 - 8 minutes, or until tender.
Place flour tortilla on work surface, then place caramel sheet in the center of the flour tortilla.
Put a scoop of cooked apples in the center.
Fold bottom of tortilla up over apples, fold sides in, then roll it up, being careful to keep the filling inside.
Place seam side down in 8x8 glass baking dish.
Repeat with remaining tortillas & caramel sheets.
Brush enchiladas with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar.
Bake at 425F for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden.
Serve warm with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So peel your apples.


I like to use a couple types of apples, when I bake.
One is almost always MacIntosh, today the other was Honey Crisp.

Cut out the cores and chop them up.


Melt 1/4 C butter in a large skillet.


Add the chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.


Cook 5 - 8 minutes, or until apples are tender.


Ok... those spicy apples smelled amazing!

Now you need soft taco sized flour tortillas & caramel sheets.

You can usually find caramel sheets in the produce department at the grocery store.


I had never used them before. They're pretty cool... just packed between sheets of parchment paper.


First lay out a tortilla.


Add a caramel sheet.


Add a scoop of apples.


Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the apples.


Fold in the sides.


Then roll it up and place it seam side down in an 8x8 glass baking dish.

Repeat with remaining tortillas & caramel sheets.


I had a little bit of apple left over... it was so good reheated on pancakes the next day! But it would have also been great stirred into oatmeal.


Now brush the enchiladas with melted butter.


Sprinkle them with cinnamon/sugar.


And bake for 10 - 15 minutes at 425F, or until golden.


Some of the caramel oozes out, but that's ok. It totally scoops right up with the enchiladas.

Serve with some vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of caramel!


These were SO good!! And they went together really fast! No baking for an hour or making dough like a pie. Just sweet, spicy, apply deliciousness!

2 comments:

Patti T. said...

Sounds super yummy, I have plenty of apples, caramel but sadly only corn tortillas. Hmmmm, I just remembered, I can make my own tortillas. This would be perfect for hubby and I because I can make just enough for hubby and I.

tamilyn said...

I don't like fruit warm (or mushy like a pie) but I bet if I made these for work, they would be gone in minutes!