Friday, February 13, 2009

Fried Rice

Fried Rice is so easy to make. I always forget about it. But it's a fast and easy main dish or side dish. Plus you can make it with whatever you have on hand.

When I'm planning to make it, I use Spam. I know, a bunch of you just cringed, but that's how I learned. Spam Fried Rice!

But you can use whatever meat you have and whatever veggies you have... and you don't have to use meat if you want to go veggie... and you can also omit the eggs if you want to go vegan (probably the oyster sauce too, I'd have to read the ingredients)

I chop up some veggies
Photobucket

And some Spam!
Photobucket

And toss it into my BIG cast iron skillet.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Add the veggies (wow... it looked like more than that on the cutting board!)
Photobucket

Whisk together a few eggs. (I think I used 5 or 6 for this big batch)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I move the meat and veggies to the edges of the pan and scramble the eggs in the middle. This usually works well.. but of course this time for the picture, I got eggs in the meat & veggies... which still works out fine... I just like to cook the eggs in the middle before I mix them.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now add rice. This is a PERFECT use for leftover rice.
Photobucket

Add some soy sauce and pepper
Photobucket

Jon likes peas in his fried rice, so I threw in a handful.
Photobucket

Some oyster sauce for another level of flavor.
Photobucket

Photobucket

A handful of green onions.
Photobucket

Photobucket

It's dinner time!
Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I luv me some spam. Never had it in fried rice though, interesting. Hope I remember this 'cuz I really want to try it. Did u do the eggroll too?

Spryte said...

Nope. The eggroll was prepared from the grocery store deli. I just baked them. I occasionally make eggrolls... but I'm way more likely to make lumpia. Acutally... I'm thinking some pancit and lumpia sound pretty good! I might make that Sunday!!

Spryte said...

And when I use Spam in fried rice or pancit... it really doesn't tasty Spamy. I just seems like miscellaneous salty meat. =)

Donna-FFW said...

Isnt this funny? I just made fried rice last night. Great minds.. Yours looks delicious! I use peas also, red peppers, carrots, ginger, haven't tried with oyster sauce, I use tamari. Your step by steps are wonderful. I LOVE looking at them!

Aggie said...

I have to make me some fried rice soon! Great recipe!

Found your blog on Leftover Queen's FFF! Great stuff you have here!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I *love* you threw in spam... yum!!

Mo Diva said...

WOW! that looks great! Much better then the variety I BSed my way through!

Bob said...

That looks way better than the fried rice I made most recently. Well, except the Spam. ;)

Maria said...

I love the added green color!! Fried rice is a great way to use leftover rice. I love it!

Tangled Noodle said...

This is exactly the way I grew up with fried rice! Spam is wonderful in moderation and it is part of Hawaiian foodways. I live just a few hours away from Spam's hometown of Austin, MN so I give it props! Now I'm hankering for some fried rice!

Anonymous said...

looks delicious!
love fried rice. its a guilty pleasure of mine :)

Spryte said...

Thanks for all the kind words!!

And 99% of the time my fried rice has Spam in it!

Tangled Noodle said...

Spryte - I've finally given you proper thanks for passing the awards to me in my latest post! I really appreciated it, especially coming from such a great cook and blogger as yourself.